Friday, March 24, 2006

 

Having...

...talked about the BNP founding a 'church' of their own here, I've been following with interest the topic on the bastion of British Christianity on the web Ship of Fools. The forum there has discussion about the issue, and the idea was raised about refusing the sacrament to people who joined the group. "You can be excommunicated in the C of E. I gather that you have to give the person concerned seven days notice in writing and get the permission of the Bishop. The one instance I know about third hand was a stalker who was finally deterred by being excommunicated. Nothing prevents, AFAIK, the excommunicate from moving to the other side of the country or putting C of E on their census form. But God is not mocked. No, really he isn't, honest. So technically, if you have done something to warrant sufficient indignation an Church of England priest may deny you the sacraments. But it does depend rather on the discretion of the priest" (in the 'Purgatory' section). also "I don't see what's wrong with this in principle. The point of withdrawing the sacraments from someone is to bring about amendment on a serious and scandalous point about which they are not even seeking to repent, isn't it? I don't understand why actively claiming support from Christianity for the agenda of the BNP isn't seen as that serious by anybody, given the events of the last century. We've seen where it can lead and not just in places that would invoke Godwin's Law" If you were a priest, dear reader (or indeed are one!) would you refuse the blessed sacrament to someone you knew to be involved with this 'Christian wing of the BNP'? Technorati Tag:
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?